Sunday, August 29, 2010

His Name Was Jim

TBHITW's name is Jim.

There are some things you should know about him:

He was a geologist. He wanted to be a geologist since he was 12 years old.

He was a runner. He loved to run.

And bike ride and walk and scuba dive and ski and play soccer.

He loved being a children's soccer coach when our kids were young. He let everyone play, regardless of their ability. He liked to win games but he liked for everyone to get their chance at playing more.

He liked jazz and classic rock music.

He was well read. He read science fiction, Scientific American, Geologic News, The New York Times and best sellers and all the classics.

He wanted to learn how to fly.

He had ugly feet and beautiful hands.

He watched his weight.

He liked me.

He loved being married.

He loved being a parent.

He thought his children were perfect and I had to remind him that they weren't.

He thought I was perfect and I never reminded him that I was not.

He liked to hold hands with me.

He loved movies and Christmas and Halloween.

He loved to eat good food.

He liked dark beer and hated light beer.

He liked to watch football and soccer, but not baseball.

He loved this country.

He loved babies. And dinosaurs.

He was humble and generous and cheerful and funny. No one could deliver a pun like him.

He was handsome, but he didn't know it.

He did not snore.

He never smoked.

He never stayed mad.

He was not afraid to say, "I'm sorry".

He worked all the time. He loved what he did and never considered it a burden.

He was patient with me.

He always fell asleep first. When I heard his even breathing I fell asleep myself.

He always got up before me. And he brought me coffee in bed.

He was a pack rat. He saved everything.

He kept excellent records.

His handwriting was illegible.

He always brought me flowers. For no reason.

He was a very good driver. I always felt safe in the car with him.

He knew NYC like the back of his hand. He knew the streets, the trains, the subways and all the good places to eat.

He believed in God.

He had a terrible memory for names, but not people. He always remembered their story.

He loved rocks and volcanoes and glaciers and all manner of earthly things.

He wished he could go into space.

He was a scientist and loved science. He loved to learn new things and debate old things.

He would have made an incredible teacher.

He taught me how to read a map.

And a compass.

He could identify all the constellations in the night sky.

He could grow a great mustache.

He loved life and life loved him back.

These are some of the things you should know about Jim.

20 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Jim with us. He sounds like TBHITW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your comment over at Charlies and it tweaked my heart. Thank you for telling us about your wonderful husband - there are similarities to mine - they are both very special men.
    My husband is facing major surgery next week and I find your courage inspiring. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim was a very special man...what a wonderful legacy all that he was...you were blessed to have him in your life. Thank you for sharing him with us. Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the real TBHITW with us. It really helps to put a "face" to an acronym.

    I can only imagine how hard these next weeks/months...etc, will be without him beside you.

    I hope you and your kids do have some comfort knowing that he thought you were all perfect though :)

    He sounds like a wonderful guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can feel your love for him in the sharing. He was a very special man and he chose you, making you special, too. I hope that thought will bring you a small amount of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing Jim with us. I feel so much closer to him now.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  7. He sounds like a most wonderful person. How blessed the 2 of you were to have each other and build this beautiful life together. In catching up on your last couple of posts I can see that he has left quite a legacy behind...which means he will not ever be completely gone. Blessings to you as you prepare your children to go back to college and high school. When I read one of your last posts that you talked about him kissing you, it made my heart leap. I believe he is there with you. Prayers still being sent your way. XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this very sweet description. I like the straightforward and detailed items...they all add up to a very likable fellow. I continue to wish you peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He sounds like he was an amazing guy. **hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a wonderful way for you to share Jim with your readers. His interests and talents shine. I like hearing the wonderful rituals and habits in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did not know. I am so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful man. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad you shared all those great facts with us. Now I feel like I have a better picture of Jim when you talk about him.

    I did a triathlon 4 days after he died. I knew he was a runner and felt in part like I was running it because he wouldn't be able to do it again. He was on my mind the whole time, I guess that means you were too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you. He sounds like a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not only TBHITW, but a beautiful human being. Thank you, Jim.
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your husband, Jim, with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. He sounds wonderful and awesome and amazing and one-of-a-kind! : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. And he continues to live on in your descriptions of him!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing his name. I feel honored to know it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lovely tribute for a wonderful man. I admire your courage and appreciate you sharing these things about Jim. I continue to pray for you and your children, each day. Love and hugs, Marguerite

    ReplyDelete

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I love feedback... what with being a cook and all. I will respond to your comments via email (if you do not have a "noreply" address or here, below your comment) As always, Bon Appetite!

Related Posts with Thumbnails