Thursday, August 5, 2010

CSA Share Week 11 and Parmesan Squash Sticks

I'm going to need a larger car.

Maybe even a pickup truck.

Every week my farm share keeps getting bigger and bigger.

I may need to get a life to boot.

Every week I find myself getting more and more excited to see what the share is going to bring me. I'm pretty sure the majority of the population of the USA has way more things to get excited about.

But that's just me.

This week's bounty:

Blueberries (pint)
Peaches (10)
Yellow Donut Peaches (5)
Raspberries (1/2 pint)
Apples (3)
Green Beans (2 pounds)
Yellow Beans (1 pound)
Italian Green Beans (1 pound)
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Eggplant
Sicilian Eggplant
Kale
Green Bell Peppers (3)
Basil
Tomatoes (4)
Sweet White Corn (8)
Sweet Bi-Color Corn (8)
Assorted Squash (8)

In addition to the above haul I purchased a bushel of peaches. They are just so good we have been eating  at least five a day (that's one each.. not just me). In honor of a perfect peach season I am going to can peaches tomorrow. I think adding a cinnamon stick and a few pieces of crystalized ginger will be a nice kick this winter when we open up one of the jars... what do you think?

Squash seems to be proliferating along with peaches around here and my family is getting a little tired of sauteed or grilled squash. To give them a little variety (and use up some of the squash) I came up with this recipe for Parmesan Squash Sticks.

I hope where ever you are you are able to enjoy nature's bounty.

Parmesan Squash Sticks (serves 4 as a side dish)

Preheat oven to 375.

2 Medium Yellow Squash or Zucchini, sliced into 1 inch sticks
1/4 cup flour
1 egg, whisked with a splash of milk
1 cup panko bread crumbs (I am a fan)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (mix the cheese in with the panko)
few grinds of fresh black pepper
1/3 cup canola (or other) oil

Set up a breading station with 3 pie plates. 1. flour 2. egg mixture 3. panko and parmesan cheese
Slice squash and dredge in the flour. Dip in egg, then coat in the panko / parmesan cheese mixture. Repeat with all the squash and set aside.



Pour oil into a rimmed cookie sheet and place in oven for 3 minutes. Carefully, place squash sticks in oil and place in oven. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, turn and continue to bake for another 4-6 minutes or until golden brown and crisp on all sides.



Sprinkle with sea salt and serve hot. Yum. Thanks Mother Nature.

A Cook's Notes: I was delighted (and amused) when my squash haters loved this dish. I called it the mystery vegetable, made everyone try at least one (even my son's friend who was having dinner with us) and was pleased when nary a stick was left at the end of the meal.

12 comments:

  1. Man! I want to be in the CSA you're in!! The one locally has a very small box (maybe a foot square and 8 inches high) and it's loosely packed. You never get any more than that. It wasn't worth the $$$ I paid into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri - This is the first year that this farm is doing a CSA - it will be interesting to see what next year's box looks like. All the produce does not fit in the bushel box anymore. I am LOVING it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love squash and never thought of trying them this way. I will definately try this one while they are so plentiful. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep looking for new ways to make squash. That sounds/looks great. I like the idea of the peaches with cinnamon and crystallized ginger too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our peach tree finally broke under the weight of all the peaches. They are abundant this year! I found a recipie for peach cobbler with crystalized ginger - it was awesome, the URL is below.

    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Peach-and-Blackberry-Cobbler-with-Crystallized-Ginger-242722

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if my husband would like squash like this. His problem is more one of texture (he can't handle anything mushy). It sounds fantastic. I'm sure I at least will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Odie - from one squash lover to another - enjoy!

    City - I'm with you - always looking for new ways to prepare them. I'm thinking tonight perhaps shredding zuchinni with potato and making a fritter?

    Marci - everything tastes better with the sweet hotness of crystalized ginger. Thanks for the link!

    Whitney - TBHITW has the same problem, texture. He loved these. The squash stayed crisp and the panko added even more crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, man. I want those. I'll have to eat them in secret so my kids can't walk around and say "yuk," but I'm definitely making them. Give me an excuse to haul out my sil-pat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am new here and you have me hooked with this super simple recipe.

    Am a first time blogger and mom, so please stop by and give me some tips at www.morethanjustmummy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow your CSA share is amazing! I can see why you get excited. I'm going to try the squash sticks tonight for my grandson, and I'm back for Kate's cookies. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd be excited if I was getting that bounty too! And yes, I think the cinnamon and ginger will be great in the peaches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would *definitely* be very excited by a haul like that!! And I love the sound of cinnamon-ginger peaches :D

    ReplyDelete

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I love feedback... what with being a cook and all. I will respond to your comments via email (if you do not have a "noreply" address or here, below your comment) As always, Bon Appetite!

Related Posts with Thumbnails