Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sunshine [finally] and Roasted Vegetables



It has happened!
It has happened!
Going on about 3 1/2 minutes now...

THE SUN IS OUT!! THE SKY IS BLUE!

Holly Bear and I were out jogging in deep cloud cover and oppressive humidity this morning. Just before we left TBHITW said, "Looks like rain".. and I said, "What else is new?"

45 minutes (yes! 45 minutes!!!) later towards the end of our run, I looked up and OMG: Blue Sky - Sunshine! 



I turned the corner of the lane to our home, raced into the backyard and look what else happened:




The lillies in my pond are finally blooming and the fish are out of their fish cave.
Isn't it amazing how a little sunshine can brighten everything??

Roasted Vegetables with Tomatoes and Balsamic Dressing:

1 Eggplant
1 Zucchini
1 Yellow Squash
Or just one type or a combination of whatever you like, in the quantity you need.
Fresh herbs of choice, chopped fine (I use thyme, rosemary, parsley, basil) but use whatever you like and whatever you have - if you use basil, sprinkle on when finished roasting, not in the oven.
2 garlic cloves, slivered
1 ripe plum tomato, seeded and diced
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Peel and slice, the long way, the squashes (about 1/2 inch thick)

Drizzle a rimmed cookie sheet with olive oil. Place the squash slices in single layer on sheet. Use two sheets if necessary. Drizzle with more olive oil (don't drown them, just a drizzle over the tops)
Sprinkle with salt and pepper, garlic slices and fresh herbs, reserving 1 tablespoon herbs. 
Place in hot oven for 10 minutes. 
After 10 minutes turn with spatula and drizzle with more oil if needed. Roast for 10 more minutes. 
While the veggies are roasting, dice the tomato. Toss in the rest of the herbs and stir in balsamic vinegar.

Remove veggies from oven. Place on platter, spoon tomato mixture over and serve hot or at room temperature. 

Lovely with simple grilled chicken or fish. 


6 comments:

  1. I sure agree with you.. Always summer brings bliss with its sunshine. Love the simple roasted veggies too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, it's cloudy again... but it was a lovely glimpse of summer's promise. Ah, well. Perfect excuse to bake fresh focaccia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, I really want to come sit at your table and watch you cook all day! That sounds like a perfect day!

    Hope the sun reappears before to long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tamis,
    Do stop by! Anytime.
    But don't be surprised if I put a spoon or a knife in your hands. Many hands make short work.
    Rest assured though, before you leave, there will be a fork in your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious. When I want to make something new, I always think of you. What about a cookbook?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lover of Life / Nancy:
    Oh, how nice are you?
    I'm actually working on a children's cookbook. It is a cookbook for kids with cancer who are on a neutropenic diet. This was actually my nephew's idea. He is 10 and has cancer and he called me and asked if I could come show him and his mom some recipes they could make together following the neutropenic diet.... how cool is that?
    I'm going to write a blog about it - but have to stop tearing up everytime I start it!
    My own, adult cookbook is on hold until this one gets done.

    ReplyDelete

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I love feedback... what with being a cook and all. I will respond to your comments via email (if you do not have a "noreply" address or here, below your comment) As always, Bon Appetite!

Related Posts with Thumbnails