Tuesday, June 2, 2009

First Tuesday of the Month and Strawberry Syrup

As I sit here and put the finishing touches on my monthly newsletter, it has occurred to me that perhaps my readers from the "other part of my life" would like to receive it too. 

On the first Tuesday of the month I email a short (2-3 page) newsletter to my clients, friends, students and  associates who have signed up to receive it. The newsletter is called, "Food for Thought". It contains 2-3 recipes, tips and tricks (the stuff cookbooks don't tell you) and a "My Favorite Things" column that can include kitchen gadgets, places, pans, techniques, whatever. I also [usually] do a monthly "give-away".... 

Anyone out there in blog land who is interested in getting one more piece of email a month, send an email to: thegoodcooknj@comcast.net just put send me your newsletter in the subject line and I'll take the hint and mail it on out. 

Strawberry Syrup: 

2 cups strawberries (washed, hulls removed and sliced)
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Put strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a heavy pan. Pot should not be more than 1/3 full. This is going to bubble up!  Cook and stir over high heat until sugar melts. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 4 minutes (the kind of boil that can't be stirred down). Stir constantly. 

Cool in a glass or ceramic bowl, covered. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature over vanilla ice cream. Also great as a base for strawberry milkshakes. Store in refrigerator, covered tightly. Can be kept for 2 weeks. 

5 comments:

  1. Oh Yummers! I cannot wait till I can start canning and making things with really fresh produce! We sure get things later here in the great NW...

    Thanks for the idea. I will use it. I hate that fake strwberry syrup the kids use--DISGUSTING!

    Hey do you go out of your way to cut the high fructose corn syrup out of your foods you buy. I have started watching it and am amazed at how it is in everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can?? Wow - I thought I was just about the only one left!

    My kids are past the "pop-tart" age (for the most part) so I have been pretty successful in eliminating corn syrup from our diets. Cooking "from scratch" of course helps - a lot. It is amazing how many foods contain this hidden ingredient. It also irritates me (pisses me off) to no end how much food corn is used to produce additives and animal feed. Very little ends up as beautiful yellow kernels on our plates. sigh.. I'm feeling a rant coming on.

    Good for you for trying to eliminate from your diets! Sent you the newsletter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have some of this good strawberry stuff, from our good cook who told us about you the Good Cook..Tamis is my local good cook!

    Yummy is right!

    I used to can, whne the kids were little!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had the strawberry syrup over Vanilla Ice Cream last night for dessert. And I wonder why I can't just loose those extra few pounds. Sigh. But life is short, just like strawberry season so I say Go For It!

    Yes, Tamis has been sharing some of her cooking on her blog. She IS a good cook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have awarded you the Lemonade Award. :) Please see my blog for details.

    ReplyDelete

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I love feedback... what with being a cook and all. I will respond to your comments via email (if you do not have a "noreply" address or here, below your comment) As always, Bon Appetite!

Related Posts with Thumbnails