Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Lovely Lunch for One - Spaghetti Squash


I love spaghetti squash.

Sadly, no one else in my family does. 

If the rest of the people who live here DID like it, I would grow it by the bushel - that is how much I like it. 

"What's not to like?" I ask them. They always give me some vague, non-answer that can't even begin to explain their obvious lack of good taste. Humph. 




I've made it a hundred different ways for them - with sauce, just like spaghetti. 

With butter and salt and pepper - just like pasta.

With butter and parmesan cheese.

With meatballs.

With creamy cheese sauce.

Nothing - nada - zip. They won't eat it. 

Today, just for me, I made spaghetti squash with fresh herbs, tomatoes and feta cheese. 

When the aroma hits the air I'll have my revenge... as each and everyone one of my finicky eaters follow their noses to the kitchen I'll reveal the source of the smell and savor each and every mouthful... Let them eat cake. 
 
Sometimes a cook just has to please one person - themselves. 

Steamed Spaghetti Squash with herbs, tomatoes and feta cheese (serves 1)

1 small spaghetti squash, cut in half. Seeds removed.
One plum or a handful of grape tomatoes, sliced and diced. 
2 tablespoons fat free feta
2 tablespoons fresh herbs of choice
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
drizzle of extra virgin olive oil

Place spaghetti squash in microwavable casserole with 1 inch water. Wave for 10 to 15 minutes, covered. OR bake, cut side down on a greased cookie sheet in 375  degree oven for 45 minutes. (who has patience for that??)

With a fork, pull all of the fruit out of the shells of the squash. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil 

Combine sliced tomatoes, herbs, feta and vinegar. Stir to combine.

Top squash with tomato / cheese mixture. Enjoy. 



5 comments:

  1. That surely looks umm and sounds healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann - it really is! A nice addition, if you don't mind the salt would be sliced kalamata olives... Anyway, that's what I'm having for lunch today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My whole family eats the stuff--I love it. I will definately try it this way though...have to find a substitute for the tomatoes in the kids part though.

    Ah heck, they can pick them out. This looks Great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason, that I don't understand, I'm with your family on spaghetti squash. I wish I had you to fix all these different ways, then maybe I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy,
    I never suspected spaghetti squash was one of those "you either love it, or hate it" kind of foods.

    Guess it is.

    I finished mine last night with dinner.

    To each his own!

    Tamis - good for you for making them "eat around it", that's the term I use for unwanted foods.ie: tomatoes "Just eat around it then"...

    ReplyDelete

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I love feedback... what with being a cook and all. I will respond to your comments via email (if you do not have a "noreply" address or here, below your comment) As always, Bon Appetite!

Related Posts with Thumbnails