Thursday, May 28, 2009

Home Grown Mushrooms and Three Bean Salad



I'm going to the market in a few minutes to see what's up for dinner. I need to find something to match the mushrooms that I grew myself! How much fun is fungi? I'll post a recipe later with my finds at the market - I'm shooting for my once weekly totally locally sourced dinner tonight. 

Last night I didn't feel like going to the store (again) for vegies for cole slaw. After rummaging around in my cupboards I found three cans of beans. Also had half of head of celery and a shallot so I threw this together. Even my picky eaters ate this up (with seconds):

Three Bean Salad: (makes enough for 4 with lunch leftovers)

1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (this is important, the beans must be rinsed)
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium shallot, minced
6-7 stalks celery, minced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup white vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
salt & pepper to taste

Mix beans, shallot, celery and herbs in large bowl. In shaker, mix oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Shake vigorously, pour over bean mixture, mixing well. Chill until ready to serve. 

A Cook's Notes:
I'm going to have some of this over baby greens for lunch. Yum - vegetarian, high fiber, low cal, high in proteins. 

1 comment:

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I love feedback... what with being a cook and all. I will respond to your comments via email (if you do not have a "noreply" address or here, below your comment) As always, Bon Appetite!

Related Posts with Thumbnails