Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Wedding and Sugar Cookie Cutouts



The Best Husband In The World and I attended a wedding this past Saturday. Thankfully, I was on the way to better health and could attend. Yeah modern medicine AKA antibiotics for a nasty sinus infection.

My nephew got married to a lovely young woman he had pursued for 8 years... she finally said yes! Making it doubly special was the fact that my dad officiated. It was very touching to see a grandfather performing the wedding ceremony for his grandson and namesake. Here is a picture of the happy couple and my dad.


It was truly a lovely wedding. The food, the flowers, the venue. But what really struck me was the character and maturity of the bride. You see she had planned an outdoor wedding ceremony. Mother Nature was not cooperating and minutes before the ceremony was about to take place, it poured. I mean really poured. No matter - the bridesmaids, flower girls, groom, best man and ushers all took their places (under umbrellas) and we cheered when the bride strode down the "aisle" in splendor under her own umbrella. The ceremony went off without a hitch and everyone high tailed it to the reception room.

You see she could have let the weather ruin her day. She CHOSE to be happy. She knew that a marriage isn't about the wedding day - but a lot of days adding up to a lifetime. They laughed, they said their vows, they kissed. They had an absolutely wonderful time and so did we.

My Mother-In-Law makes these sugar cookies every Christmas. She calls them Merry Makers and the family cannot get enough of them.

This week I'm baking and shopping and cooking in anticipation of TBHITW's brother and family's arrival on Thursday. You may remember our 10 year old nephew Shane just completed cancer treatment. Well, the whole gang is coming for a long NYC Marathon weekend. His mom and dad raised over $14k for pediatric cancer research and will be running the marathon on Sunday. We will all be in the city to cheer them on - racing for the cure and eating cookies!

Sugar Cookie Cutouts: (makes about 6 to 7 dozen depending on thickness)

3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Using a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat after each addition. Add vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to batter in 3 additions. Stir until well combined.

Refrigerate the dough at least one hour or over night.
Roll out on a floured board until about 1/4 inch thick. Using cookie cutters, cut into desired shapes. (I'm using bats and witches and pumpkins and ghost cutters) Transfer to ungreased cookie sheet.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Bake one tray at at time in the middle of the oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Cool on racks.

Frost with vanilla frosting dyed to your color preference. Decorate as desired.

A Cook's Notes: When my kids were littles and middles I let them do the decorating. The easiest way to do this is to buy canned frosting and dye about a 1/4 of each can a different color - place in small bowls, buy some sprinkles and sugar crystals, line the table with some newspaper and let them have fun.

Don't forget, Shane will be pulling the winning name from the pumpkin on Sunday, November 1st. If you haven't commented yet on the Autumn Giveaway Post, do it now!!


20 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing wedding :0)

    I am always scared to read your posts because you always remind me I am starving .. despite the fact that I am a fat git ;0))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a beautiful wedding. I admire the bride for taking pouring down rain, in stride.
    Holy cow, 3 sticks of butter! No wonder these cookies are called merry makers! Yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eternally - I doubt you are fat. You are probably normal. Those skinny models and movie stars are the NOT Normal... everything in moderation is my motto then let the thighs rub as they may!!

    Marguerite - I adher to the French way of cooking, when in doubt, add butter! and remember, it's spread across more than 72 cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If she had that attitude, then he was very intelligent to pursue her for as long as he did. She sounds like a catch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suldog - that's pretty much how the whole family feels about her! On top of that, her dad passed away a few months ago. While a bit sad, she arranged a beautiful tribute to him as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds lovely. Seems the 8 years were worth the effort..good luck to them both

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vodka - it truly was. They are both incredible, down to earth people. I'm thinking they are going to do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right about your new niece understanding the most important aspect of a wedding - which is not the day itself - but the days and years afterwards. Beautiful bride, handsome Dad and nephew! I congratulate your family for raised the money for cancer and running the marathon! I hope your nephew is doing well. Wishing them all the best on that day. Have fun, and thank you so much for the wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm . . . Cookies . . . I haven't made sugar cookies in nearly three years!!! Maybe with all this new found culinary success I've been having I think I'll take a stab at it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Weddings like that are awesome to attend. Makes you have hope, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nancy - thank you for the compliments - I think the men in my family are handsome too!

    Meeko - go for it!

    Kathy - I always have hope!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like happy weddings between people who really have learned who the other person is, still love them- and marry them! Her attitude should be required reading for all the bridezillas out there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How absolutely fabulous that your dad could officiate!!!! And the bride and groom sound like a terrific pair...what great attitudes they had!!! I'm glad to hear that Shane completed his treatment but I am terribly sorry to hear that he had cancer...so very young...so very brave!!! I will pray that there is no return of the cancer! These cookies look really yummy!!! Can't wait to try this recipe!!! ~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Buffalo - I agree 100% with you.

    Sniffles - My dad became a licenses "marriage" official just for the occasion. You can imagine how honored he was when my nephew asked him to do this! I'm wishing these cookies would disappear - as they are really good and are going to end up showing on my hips!

    Thanks for the good thoughts for Shane. We are all hoping there is no recurrence. As you know, once is more than enough.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How super cool that you dad officiated! That makes it all the more a cool family affair! I am super glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sara - It really was a great family affair (and I have ALOT of family)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. a blissful wedding and sugar cookies. how perfect. I so enjoyed you telling of the wedding. Happy tears from heaven graced their day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lisa - that is an old saying isn't it? Rain on your wedding day... all tears have already been shed... happy marriage..

    ReplyDelete
  19. so he got the girl in the end! NICE way to end the story.

    I would have to go to costco just to buy enough BUTTER to make those cookies...I bet they are delish though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tamis - butter makes everything better!!

    ReplyDelete

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I love feedback... what with being a cook and all. I will respond to your comments via email (if you do not have a "noreply" address or here, below your comment) As always, Bon Appetite!

Related Posts with Thumbnails