Thursday, October 15, 2009

Stealing and Pumpkin Ravioli with Browned Butter, Sage and Hazelnut Sauce


Our 17 year old daughter has a part time job at the local Dairy Queen.

This evening at my dinner table the following conversation took place:

15 year old son: (speaking to 17 year old daughter): So, can you?

17 year old daughter: I'll try. But maybe not.

Me: What, what can you do?

Daughter: He wants me to bring him home something from work.

Me: Like what?

Daughter: You know, ice cream or a sundae

Me: So, what's the problem.

Daughter: You know, if the manager is watching...

Holy Frozen Milk!

Me: You have to pay for anything you bring home. You realize that, right?

Daughter: well...

Me: So, after you grab some ice cream do you also grab a $20 out of the cash register?

Daughter: No, OMG - I would never do that, I would never steal.

Me: Well, taking anything that you don't pay for is stealing. Anything you bring into this house will be bought and paid for. Understood?

Wow. You just never know when a life lesson presents itself do you?

I'm off to a girl's weekend. Hopefully when I get back no one will be in jail. In the meantime, here's a great fall side dish - it's easy, quick and fits the bill on these chilly October nights.

Pumpkin Ravioli with Browned Butter, Sage and Hazelnut Sauce (makes 3 dozen)

1 large white potato
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 to 2 tablespoon milk or cream
1 15 oz can pumpkin, divided in half (reserve other half for other use)
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
pinch nutmeg
salt and pepper
1 package wonton wrappers

Microwave the potato for 4 to 5 minutes until soft. Remove from skin and place in a medium bowl.
Add butter, cream, sage, dash of salt, dash of pepper, nutmeg and cream.
Mash.
Add pumpkin and mix well.

Lay about 8 wonton wrappers out on a clean counter. Place about 1/2 tablespoon of filling in center of each wrapper.
Brush edges of wrapper with water and place another wonton wrapper on top.
Press to remove any air and to seal
You an use a round cutter and cut the ravioli into rounds or leave in a square.


I like LESS wonton and more filling so I cut mine.
Repeat until you use all the filling.

Lay the ravioli out on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper or parchment and dusted with a bit of flour.
Do not stack!!!

Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.

Heat a large pot of boiling, salted water.
Add ravioli, one at a time and boil until done. About 2 to 3 minutes. Ravioli's will float.

Sauce:
1 stick unsalted butter
7 to 8 sage leaves, torn in half if large
1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted* and rough chopped (walnuts are great too!)

Melt 1 stick of unsalted butter in a large saute pan. Add sage leaves and turn up the heat so that butter slightly browns.
Add nuts and stir to coat.
Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of ravioli cooking water to saute pan and stir.
Using a slotted spoon, gently transfer ravioli to saute pan and gently toss to coat.
Serve immediately.

A Cook's Note: to toast hazelnuts, add nuts to a dry saute pan. Over medium heat toss and stir until slightly browned and fragrant.
This is a great vegetarian meal but also makes a great side to chicken, turkey or pork.

Don't forget to comment on the Yogotherm giveaway post - you have until Midnight - October 31st.!

15 comments:

  1. You never know what life lesson sticks and how they will use it! Good come-back, Mom! Oh, and the ravioli looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy - I was surprised that she didn't consider taking a bit of ice cream stealing. We are clear on that now... you KNOW there was a lot more discussion than what was on this blog. The Ravioli were really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you could serve that for dessert too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perspective changes everything, doesn't it?

    Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh Kids, aren't you glad you're not one anymore! Definitely going to try the pumpkin ravioli. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you said you hope no one is in jail, were you talking about you and the girls or the kids?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had this in restaurants, but I'll bet your recipe is better.

    We have many of the same types of discussions in our home. Now that my girls are grown, I think they are honest, but I do remember when they thought the lines could be blurred. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh these sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girls weekend and you hope no one ends up in jail... shit I am going with you next time.

    Nice seeing you at Chat-eaux.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have to take those moments when they pop up to educate and instill the values you chose to embrace. I hope no one ends up with some "splaining" to do. (I grew up watching I love Lucy).

    I am so going to make these. I saw another recipe recently that looked more complex then I was willing to try. I think this sounds delish. Wish I had the wrappers, I would make it tonight. I am hungy and still have no real groceries.

    Happy girls weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a terrific mom!!!! And these pumpkin ravioli look fab!!! My mouth is watering!!! Wonderful post! ~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Buffalo - it's like dessert first!

    Badass - perspective and experience

    Liz - LOL... I was hoping NO ONE was going to end up in jail. Girls weekend has tamed out over the years but we still have some kick left in us!

    Nancy - I thought we had covered the stealing stuff in grade school. Guess we have to revisit morals 101 every now and then....

    Yaya - yummmm

    Vodka - thanks for the intro to Chat-eaux - I love it. When I get more familiar with the site I'll write about it here. And - yes! Girl's weekends have been known to be wild events but have gotten somewhat more settled now... but still fun!!

    Tamis - All is calm on the home front. Let me know how you like the Ravioli - I have a bunch frozen that I'm thinking about revisiting right now cuz I am starving!!!

    Sniffles - thank you. I'm not terrific - I'm vigilant! Hope you are feeling better. Thanks for stopping by!! Tell me what kind of foods interest you and I will try to accomodate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She meant well, I guess.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crystal,

    Meaning well and doing well are two different things. We are now clear on the definition of stealing. I gave her some $$ and she did bring some ice cream home that night - all bought and properly paid for!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We know what our next cooking project is...

    :)

    Your daughter doesn't want to steal Dairy Queen ice cream. Who knows what goes into that stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I love feedback... what with being a cook and all. I will respond to your comments via email (if you do not have a "noreply" address or here, below your comment) As always, Bon Appetite!

Related Posts with Thumbnails