Wednesday, January 20, 2010

New Stove, 200th. Post and Baked Glazed Donuts


My new stove is being delivered and installed as I sit here typing.
Yippe-Kay-Yeah!
I have wanted a new stove for about 10 years - but I didn't need a new stove until the oven started acting up about 8 weeks ago. First, it wouldn't heat. Then it heated to whatever temperature it felt like. Set it at 350 degrees, it might heat up to 200 or it might heat up to 450, whatever it felt like. There was no way I was even interested in having it repaired. Ten years is long enough to wait for a vital piece of machinery when you are a cook. I've been thinking about the first thing I should cook on my new stove for about 2 weeks and today THIS recipe poked me in the eye. It is fairly low calorie so it fits my current diet
AND TBHITW is about to go into dessert withdrawal.
AND I get to test the oven out.
AND I'm not only celebrating my new stove (with two ovens, 5 burners and a griddle) I'm celebrating my 200th. post!! Happy Day!

Baked Donuts:
3/4 cup plus one tablespoon buttermilk
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup egg substitute
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon peel
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon thyme (optional)*
1/2 tablespoon yeast
*thyme and lemon and olive oil make a delicious dough, if you've never had it, try it!!
Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp. lemon juice

Place ingredients in bread machine* following the order specified by manufacturer and process on “dough” cycle; when dough is ready, remove from machine.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Separate into 10 balls. Pull a large hole in the center of each, shaping into donut shape. Place on greased baking sheet, cover and let rise until double, about 45 minutes. Bake about 6-8 minutes.
Combine lemon juice and sugar, adding more juice if needed to make drizzling consistency and spoon glaze over warm donuts.
*If you don't have a bread machine, combine ingredients by hand, proofing the yeast in 1/4 cup warm water first. Mix thoroughly, then knead by hand for 8 to 10 minutes. Proceed to shaping and rising.
Now I've got to go. It's time to make the donuts!!

23 comments:

  1. Baked doughnuts? NO WAY!!!! I am SOOOOO trying these this weekend when it snows again! Whoop whoop. And congrats on teh 200 posts!

    And the oven. Gay BOyfriend snagged mine off someone's lawn. Yeah. That's how much he loves me. At least this one actually heats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im crying.
    im crying because I want an new oven. and I want a donut.

    those look soooooo incredibly yum. and how is the calorie content?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new stove sounds heavenly. Two ovens would be such a sweet indulgence when cooking for a crowd. These donuts sound healthy! Ony 1 TBL sugar? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate - your gay boyfriend - what a guy!

    Mo Diva - If you make 12 donuts out of the dough I estimate about 235 calories per donut. About 270 if you make 10.

    Nancy - Yes!! Only 1 tablespoon! The dough is lemony and tart and the glaze balances it out because it's sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That doughnut looks delicious. I think I am going to have to pass on this recipe! I made brownies last night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen - Brownies! That's what I can bake next! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats on 200!

    donuts are a weakness of mine. cant eat just one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh YUM!!! I have got to try these! It's practically impossible to find a decent donut in Spain! :s

    Just one question: if I wanted to use real eggs instead of that substitute you mentioned (since I have no idea what that is and am doubtful I could find it here), how many eggs?

    Are you going to try and squeeze 200 candles on your donuts? Congrats on the blogging milestone! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like donuts so much that I could have been a cop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cris - 1 real egg = 1/4 cup of Egg Substitute!!

    Thanks for the congrats. I'm amazed at how quickly the posts add up!

    Otin - this is SO why you are Otin! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY for the 200. When my Gran wanted a new oven she unscrewed the handle on the door and called in her husband (who is a pillock... said in a British accent!!) and told him it had broken. He paid for a new one. Smart lady, stupid man!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love donuts in this house!! Wishing you many years of joy with your new stove.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! OMG! OMG! That donut looks so freakin' delicious! My belly started rumbling as soon as I saw it; no joke.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, by the way, served MY WIFE crab cakes over the past weekend. Thank you! They were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is NOT on my diet so i find myself stealing guilty glances at the picture while I read your post. Oh carbs, I heart you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brian - the donuts don't keep so you HAVE to eat every last one of them. No wasting in this house!

    Eternally - I could have used your Gran's ingenuity the last 10 years!

    Crystal - there really is something to be said for a nice warm homemade donut. Thank you for the best stove wishes!

    Suldog - Make the donuts! I'm so glad you and your wife enjoyed the crab cakes. Did you earn major good husband points for that?

    Marci - oh... just a bite... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Omg, these donuts are "to die for". Thanks for the recipe! I used to make homemade donuts when my kids were little. YUMMM!
    And congrats on your 200th and best wishes for many more! Cheers, cher!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those donuts do look delicious!!! And you're so lucky with the new stove!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so excited about trying this recipe, you wouldn't believe it. I only discovered the concept of baked donuts last summer in Colorado - and I haven't had a recipe before to try and make them. I'm not sure when I'll have time, but I'm really looking forwards to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds exactly like my GE we bought a couple of years ago! We love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whoo hoo!!! Our old stove was the same way and I remember how thrilled I was to have an actual stove that cooked things at the right temperature!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just had to pop back to let you know that I made these today - it took me a while to find buttermilk. But I made them for friends and they were a definite hit :)

    ReplyDelete

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I love feedback... what with being a cook and all. I will respond to your comments via email (if you do not have a "noreply" address or here, below your comment) As always, Bon Appetite!

Related Posts with Thumbnails