Friday, July 24, 2009

Sing Along and Elegant Potatoes



I'm feeling a little funky today.

Like Funky Town. 

Like Singing.. a song. Like cooking and singing a song.. 

Come on, sing with me: 

to the tune of When You're A Jet from West Side Story:

When you're a Cook,

You're a Cook all the way

From your first omelet

To your last cheese souffle

 

When you're a Cook,

When the butter hits the pan,

You got eaters around,

You're a family man!

 

You're never alone,

You're never disconnected!

You're home with your own:

When company's expected,

You're the Cook elected!

 

Then you are set

With a capital C,

Which you'll never forget

Till they cart you away.

When you're a Cook,

You stay a Cook! 


Okay - singing not your thing? Try these potatoes instead of your regular side of mash or baked or however you've been enjoying spuds lately.

Baked Potatoes Stuffed with Anchovies, Bacon and Sage (serves 4)

adapted from Jamie Oliver's "Cook with Jamie" page 304.

Don't let the anchovies scare you. You wont' taste the fish. You will taste a buttery richness as the anchovies melt into the potato. Trust me on this one. 

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

4 medium sized potatoes, skin on (try Yukon Gold)

olive oil

sea salt

2 slices of bacon (cut in half)

4 fresh sage leaves

4 anchovy fillets packed in oil, drained

1 clove of garlic, peeled and sliced lengthways

Zest of one lemon

Stick one end of an apple corer into the potato and twist to remove a "core" from the potato. Repeat with other three spuds, reserve the core. We are going to use it like a cork.

Lay out the stuffing for each potato. A piece of bacon, a sage leaf, an anchovy, a sliver of garlic. Grate some lemon zest over each stuffing. 

Fold and twist the stuffing into a little sausage shape (4 of them) and stuff into each potato. Cut the potato cores and use as corks to hold the stuffing in place. They will stick out a little, that's okay. 

Prick each potato with a fork, rub with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for one hour, turning every now and then, cook until skin is crisp and golden.

Don't tell anyone about the anchovies, they will never guess. But DO sing them the Cook song.. 





8 comments:

  1. I will spare the others my singing...not something I am good at.

    Where do you come up with this stuff? I do not know who would ever think to core a potato and stuff it, although I might give them an award since they stuffed it with bacon! Delish!

    I recently made the best avacados stuffed with dungeness crab, heirloom tomatoes, scallions, chives (from my garden), celery and seasonings. You are a hard woman to keep up with though.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another food blog I love it this one...

    http://smittenkitchen.com/

    have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying these tonight as I have leftover anchovies from a provencal butter I made for steaks the other night. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy, but too hot to fire up the old oven today. Hmmm, too hot to cook at all! I should be served. Yes, I like this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tamis, you read another food blog??? I am going to have to check that out.. hmm.. The stuffed avocados sound good. We love avocados around here!

    Nancy - oh, so glad you are trying the recipe. Please let me know what you think.

    Kathy - Being Served - let me know what that's like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this is a unique potato recipe. It looks and sounds delicious and thanks for the fun song, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marguerite,

    You are welcome for the song.. sometimes girls just want to have fun (and eat really good, rich potatoes)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I've never seen anything like this, cool! I'm not sure I can convince my hubby about the anchovie, but maybe if I sneak it up on him. He hates broccoli and I found a great soup that has broccoli in it that he loves.

    ReplyDelete

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I love feedback... what with being a cook and all. I will respond to your comments via email (if you do not have a "noreply" address or here, below your comment) As always, Bon Appetite!

Related Posts with Thumbnails