Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year and Less Is More



Happy New Year everyone.

I have never been one to make New Year Resolutions. If something needs fixing, I fix it. No sense waiting around for some number on the calendar.

But this year is different. It's the second decade of a new century. Seems like a good time for change, no?

So without further ado, here is my New Year's Resolution:

In 2010 I will do less.

Less:

Spending, eating, drinking, criticizing, judging, sleeping, cleaning, (oops, how did that get in there, oh bother, I'll just keep it there).

Less worrying, driving, talking, yelling and TV watching.

With all this less, I will have more time to:

Listen, love, laugh, walk, exercise, recycle, garden, do yoga and read.

What will you do less of? And how will that give you more?

I am bloated and full and listless from all the holiday eating and drinking. On top of that I have spent 22 hours in the car in the past 5 days. Blah.

This anti-bloat drink is from Rodale's Flat Belly Diet. I find it refreshing, light, tasty and a natural cleanse for the body.

Sassy Water: (makes one day's worth of fluid intake for one person - 8.5 cups)

8.5 cups of water (2 liters)
1 medium cucumber, peeled and sliced thinly
1 lemon, sliced thinly
12 mint leaves
1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated

Mix it all up in big pitcher and refrigerate over night to meld flavors. Drink for 4 days, avoiding caffeine, alcohol and carbonated beverages.

A Cook's Notes: The hardest thing in the world for a cook to do is diet. So I'm not going to diet even though the scale mandates it. I will make changes to my eating lifestyle (doesn't that sound better than deprivation through dieting?)

Look for lower calorie, more healthful recipes in the coming year from this Good Cook. To our health!

9 comments:

  1. Our nutritional situation here is under major overhaul so I look forward to the coming recipes!

    I'll have to do less cleaning and reading and perhaps blogging which will leave me with more time to spend with my daughter and (soon to be) son.
    I won't miss the cleaning;)

    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy new year...and less is more...so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your resolutions! I'll second them. Cheers and a Happy New Year, cher, to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year!

    Less TV? What's that? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you on almost all of your thoughts for the new year. Just ditto me! I have a very long car ride home and then I'm making that cleanse drink! I can't wait for new recipes that might help me reduce - which is what I need after almost a month and a half of being sick and then overdoing for the holidays.

    Your question about Lilly's skin is probably spot on. Her mother said it could be viral or a lack of antibodies. I know that she screams if my grandson grabs her arm (as two-year old is apt to do), so it may be joint pain as well. I think they have tested her for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whitney - when is your son due to make his grand entrance? I want to be sure to keep you in my prayers as that day approaches!

    Brian - less being more just seems more than appropriate right now, doesn't it?

    Marguerite - Best New Year's wishes for you!

    Whispering Writer... LOL

    Jan - HNY to you and yours. Your NY eve party sounded perfect!

    Nancy - Safe travels. My heart goes out to Lilly and she will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers throughout the year. Keep us posted, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my New Year's resolutions is to do a cleanse and, well, FINISH IT. I always start them and then find myself shoveling mac and cheese into my mouth three days into it. I am going to start it tomorrow and am TOTALLY going to include some of that Sassy Water... it sounds lovely!

    Here is to reducing bloat... starting TOMORROW after I force myself to finish all the leftovers in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm totally sleeping MORE. And exercising MORE. I'm going to take up running. I read Born to Run and I am convinced it's the next thing on my list. I never make resolutions, but it's something I want to try and if it's a good fit, then I will continue. I think I'm going to try that water. I drink tons of water already, but it would be nice to have a little tang to it.

    ReplyDelete

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I love feedback... what with being a cook and all. I will respond to your comments via email (if you do not have a "noreply" address or here, below your comment) As always, Bon Appetite!

Related Posts with Thumbnails