Thursday, December 17, 2009

Mystery Item and Pureed Parsnips


My youngest bouncing baby boy is a sophomore in high school. The school is very nice and they have an excellent selection of elective classes to choose from.

One of his electives is a CSI class. It is set up as a crime lab and they learn various crime solving techniques such as finger print analysis, blood splatter analysis, ballistics and hand writing analysis. The final exam in this class is set up as a crime scene and the students will have to collect evidence and "solve" the crime.

Another one of his electives is wood shop. Does anyone remember wood shop? I think there is a special place in heaven for a teacher who teaches woods. Imagine 20 or so teenagers filling a class room stuffed with electric saws, drills, presses and what ever else one needs to work with wood.

Anyway, my bouncing baby boy brought me home his first completed wood shop project. Does anyone know what this is?



Care to venture a guess? Hint: you use it in the kitchen

I'll post the answer tomorrow, in the meantime, I'm just thankful the CSI class doesn't send home samples....

Pureed Parsnips: (serves 4)

Parsnips are beautiful, sweet and full of fiber and nutrients. Too often they are over looked because people just don't know what to do with them. Try them pureed for a nice change - you'll make them over and over again.

4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
water
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons heavy cream (or half and half or milk)
Salt
Pepper
Nutmeg (pinch)

Place peeled and diced parsnips in a microwavable casserole with lid. Pour about 3/4 inch water into casserole. Cover and microwave about 10 minutes or until they are very soft.

Drain any remaining water from parsnips and place in a food processor. Process using on/off pulses until fine. Add butter and cream. Process until smooth. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Enjoy hot.



Don't forget, you still have time to enter The Good Cook Apron Giveaway:


Do you have any questions you are just dying to ask The Good Cook? Pose your question in the comment field by Friday, December 18th. and be entered in a random drawing to win a Good Cook apron - delivered just in time for the holidays! I will answer your questions in a future post - but will announce the apron winner Saturday, December 19th.

If you don't have a question, just leave an "ENTER ME" comment and you will be included in the drawing.

Comments must be posted by 12:00 MIDNIGHT EST (eastern standard time) Friday, December 18th.


6 comments:

  1. I can't think of the name but is it one of those things you use to pull out the hot oven rack? I have one shaped like a fish and it's got similar bumps and grooves:)

    I'm not sure I've ever had parsnips; I'm going to have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, when I saw it, I thought it was a squirrel jumping...

    I have no idea what it is. :)

    CSI class.... I'm green with envy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitney - you are right! I'll post real time usage pics tomorrow!

    Phoebe - it is a squirrel, but it has a kitchen use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like the profile of a squirrel... is it a cutting board..
    I have one shaped like a pig...

    Wood working is a great class. My daughter went to trade school and her shop was cabinet making. I have some great pieces of furniture now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one just like it up at our cottage that my dad made for me. It's to pull the racks out of the oven. Stop and see me while you're in Michigan! Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I joined a CSA and tomorrow I will get parsnips. I was not sure how I was going to cook them...now I do! I love coming here!

    ReplyDelete

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I love feedback... what with being a cook and all. I will respond to your comments via email (if you do not have a "noreply" address or here, below your comment) As always, Bon Appetite!

Related Posts with Thumbnails