Monday, November 28, 2011

Missing The Laughter and Pineapple Salmon

I realized today that the one thing I miss the most is the everyday laughter that the TBHITW and I shared.

Everyday we laughed.

From the heart, and the gut.

Just good old fashioned laughter. It wasn't attached to anything specific. It just was.

We were happy.

We laughed.

We joked.

We made each other double over. And told each other to STOP.

To an innocent bystander our laughter was probably lame. Maybe even a bit inappropriate. Perhaps even on the politically incorrect side.. most certainly, absolutely stupid to most. But to us, our repartee was funny; hysterical even.

I miss that. Laughter. Just because we were we.

I love salmon. It is versatile, healthy and easy to make. Salmon lends itself to so many versatile flavor profiles. This evening I added a bit of terriyaki and fresh pineapple and had a refreshing, light, yet satisfying meal. It didn't make me laugh, but it did make me smile and that's a start... right?

Salmon with Pineapple and Terriyaki: serves 2

Two boneless Salmon portions
Four fresh (or canned in pineapple juice) pineapple rings, reserve two rings for salad
Three tablespoons pineapple juice
Three tablespoons terriyaki sauce
One tablespoon brown sugar
One tablespoon butter
One tablespoon cooking oil

A half hour before cooking the salmon take the portions out of the refrigerator. In a shallow bowl combine terriyaki, pineapple juice and brown sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add the salmon portions and two pineapple rings, turning to coat both sides and let marinate for 20 minutes.

Melt butter and oil in a saute pan large enough to hold the salmon and pineapple rings. Add salmon and pineapple to the pan and saute over medium heat (about 3 - 4 minutes per side).

Plate each salmon portion with a pineapple ring on top.

I served this with a spinach side salad that complimented the flavors of the fish.

Fresh spinach leaves, washed, rinsed and torn into bite size pieces
Two pineapple rings, cut into eights.
Half a red pepper cut into bite size pieces
A handful of matchstick carrots
Toss with a simple vinaigrette.



7 comments:

  1. I love salmon too. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad for the laughter you shared. He sounds like a wonderful man! Your memories prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing that will come close to the jokes and laughter that you shared with TBHITW but I do have a joke that might make you smile. My twins are currently telling everyone that they meet this joke.

    "Why can't the teddy bear eat dessert?"
    (because he is already stuffed. . .)

    Ok, it might not be that funny now that I am writing it out but maybe you can imagine a 4 year old telling it. . .Sending you peace and hugs. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fish and salad, looks very good, i just put up our tree after the weekend with its little twinkly lights, very festive! here's a silly joke for you!
    I went to the chemist and said "Can you make something up for me?"
    He said "Frank Sinatra was in here this morning".
    I said "really?"
    He said "No, I made it up."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found another one!

    Theres a Russian, a Cuban, an Englishman and a Pakistani on a train, the Russian takes out a bottle of his best vodka, drinks a bit and throws the rest off the train and says 'theres plenty more of that where i come from'.
    The others are impressed so the Cuban takes out one of the finest havana cigars, takes one puff and throws it off the train and says 'theres plenty more of those where i come from'.
    Again everyone is rather impressed so the Englishman stands up and throws the Pakistani off the train.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. This resonates with me because this is my favorite thing about my husband and I's relationship. We laugh all the time. I'm so sorry you are missing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stopping by to see how you're doing. I hope you're doing something very nice for yourself during this Christmas season. Treat yourself to something wonderful. You have my permission ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I love feedback... what with being a cook and all. I will respond to your comments via email (if you do not have a "noreply" address or here, below your comment) As always, Bon Appetite!

Related Posts with Thumbnails